Brief History of Marco Island, Florida

The history of Marco Island dates back to around 4000 BC., when the isalnd was inhabited by the Calusa Indians. The Calusa were intelligent woodworkers and known for the shell mounds they built for religious temples and burial sites. They were wiped out by disease brought by the Spanish explorers in the mid 1700s. In 1870, W.T. Collier brought his family to Marco Island. His son, William D. Collier opened a 20-room hotel in 1896 today known as Olde Marco inn. In 1922 Barron Gift Collier (no relation) purchased most of the island. Development got a late start, and it was not until the three Mackell brothers of the Deltona Corp. developed a master plan for Marco in 1962. During the sixties, the population of Marco was only 550. The brothers purchased most of the island for $7 million. Today, Marco Island is a first-classs destination  with magnificent beaches, hotels, and beautiful single-family homes.

Marco Island

Our Address

3825 Beck Blvd. Ste. 703

Naples, FL, 34114

Office

BBB-White.png

Quick Links

Policies

Copyright